Symphony No. 3
|Subtitle||Symphony No. 3|
|Artist||Civica Filarmonica di Lugano|
|Publisher||Edition Franco Cesarini|
|Instrument Group||Concert Band|
|Year of Publication||2022|
A CD that includes four great works by Franco Cesarini performed by the Civica Filarmonica di Lugano under the direction of the Maestro.
Passacaglia and Fugue in C-minor BWV 582
In Franco Cesarini’s arrangement for large wind orchestra, the particularly careful interpretation of the original piece enables him to exploit all the sound colors at his disposal, and in this sumptuous guise Bach's work also takes on a grandiose dimension, albeit tinged with late-Romanticism. A masterpiece by Johann Sebastian Bach superbly arranged for wind orchestra.
Sinfonietta No. 3 “Zwölfmalgreien Sketches”, Op. 56
In composing the Sinfonietta No. 3 , Franco Cesarini was inspired by the history of the municipality of Zwölfmalgreien, made up of various towns, villages and scattered districts which were incorporated to the City of Bolzano (Italy) over one hundred years ago. The peculiarity of these places, different from each other, but all characterized by rare beauty, have contributed to create this 3-mouvement work (City Life, Mountain Shadows and Classic Wineyards), which translates into music the activities of the villages, the winter days and the lively atmosphere in the wine regions. A perfect trip to this wonderful part of Italy! .
Suite Siciliana, Op. 57b
The Suite Siciliana, a 7-movement piece - Intrada , Pavana, Gavotta, Barcarola , Tambourin , Sicilianaand Tarantella - is characterised by contrasting rhythms and tempo and consists of these 7 dances. The musical form, typical of the Baroque period, refers to some traditional expressions of art from the land of Sicily: ranging from the rich architecture of the Sicilian Baroque to the colorful majolica ceramics and the characteristic puppets, the "pupi", which narrate a secular tradition. A full immersion into ancient traditions of this beautiful island! .
Symphony No. 3 “Urban Landscapes”, Op. 55
Fascinated by the beauty of Chicago, Franco Cesarini has translated his emotions into music: this is how was born Symphony No. 3 “Urban Landscapes” , a musical portrait of this metropolis overlooking Lake Michigan. The composition is divided into three movements - The Wrigley Building from Dawn to Noon , Blue Silhouette and Cloud Gate - which by sharing the same thematic material arranged in cyclical form, strengthen the overall cohesion of the piece. Symphony No. 3 “Urban Landscapes”, a sumptuous musical portrait of the “Windy City”.
Civica Filarmonica di Lugano
Since its foundation in 1830, Civica Filarmonica di Lugano has performed at diverging events, varying from large gatherings to international jury performances.
The Civica Filarmonica di Lugano is one of Switzerland’s oldest and most prestigious music societies and consists of approximately 70 musicians.The Civica Filarmonica gives about 20 concerts a year, both at the city’s concert halls and the Piazza della Riforma, the square in Lugano that can be considered the meeting point of the city’s inhabitants. The concert band’s precious task is to offer music to the public as well as to teach music to young people, especially in the Scuola Musicale di Lugano, run by the Civica Filarmonica itself. There are cultural engagements that the Civica Filarmonica carries out with the capability to work through a repertoire of roughly 1200 pieces.
1. Pasacaglia and Fugue in C minor [Johann Sebastian Bach]
2. Sinfonietta No. 3 Zwöfmalgreien Sketches, Op. 56: 1. City Life [Franco Cesarini]
3. Sinfonietta No. 3 Zwöfmalgreien Sketches, Op. 56: 2. Mountain Shadows [Franco Cesarini]
4. Sinfonietta No. 3 Zwöfmalgreien Sketches, Op. 56: 3. Classic Vineyards [Franco Cesarini]
5. Suite Siciliana, Op. 57 : 1. Intrada [Franco Cesarini]
6. Suite Siciliana, Op. 57 : 2. Pavana [Franco Cesarini]
7. Suite Siciliana, Op. 57 : 3. Gavotta [Franco Cesarini]
8. Suite Siciliana, Op. 57 : 4. Barcarola [Franco Cesarini]
9. Suite Siciliana, Op. 57 : 5. Tambourin [Franco Cesarini]
10. Suite Siciliana, Op. 57 : 6. Siciliana [Franco Cesarini]
11. Suite Siciliana, Op. 57 : 7. Tarantella [Franco Cesarini]
12. Symphony No. 3 Urban Landscapes, Op. 55: 1. Wrigley Building from Dawn to Noon [Franco Cesarini]
13. Symphony No. 3 Urban Landscapes, Op. 55: 2. Blue Silhouette [Franco Cesarini]
14. Symphony No. 3 Urban Landscapes, Op. 55: 3. Cloud Gate [Franco Cesarini]